she left pieces of her life behind her everywhere she went. it's easier to feel the sunlight without them, she said.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

short and sweet (i was never any good with goodbyes)

This week is proving to be a series of lasts.  The last vanilla latte for take-away from Tansey’s Deli, the last load of laundry which I find innovative ways to dry around my room and my last day in the office that has welcomed me so wholly I felt as if I were part of the permanent staff.  It is hard to put into words the mix of emotions I am feeling as I move through my last few days in Maynooth.  I have come to love this small town outside of Dublin and I know it is because of the people I have met during my time here. 

There are many ways to describe what “home” is and as I sit reflecting on my time here, I realize Maynooth has become a home.  Home isn’t just a set of coordinates on a map; it’s a place where you feel comfortable enough to be yourself.  I have had many homes: my college apartment, Belmont Rd, 3 Ocean, Los Remedios, and now Humanity House.  I want to thank the International Office for accepting me into their fold and making this such an enjoyable experience.   It says something when I am happy to come into work everyday and leave with a smile on my face. 


When I left Spain three years ago, I came home with a confidence in myself that I seem to have lost recently.  Not the type of confidence that can be portrayed on the exterior, but a self-esteem that reveals itself through every aspect of my being.  I remember who I am and am incredibly happy with it.  It seems that each time I push myself out of my comfort zone, I find that happiness all over again. 

To my family in the International Office in Maynooth, I want to thank you for the absolutely incredible summer I have had.  I'm afraid I'll start to tear up, but just know that I will come back someday soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment